January 28, 2007

Usability Talk

I'm going to do a short presentation on usability for Simmons GSLIS (West) on March 24. I'll talk about good usability principles and show some examples from some recent testing I helped do at work. If you're part of the GSLIS community, I hope you'll attend!

Here are some basic readings to get you thinking about usability:

  • Cobus, Laura, Valeda Frances Dent, and Anita Ondrusek. "How Twenty-Eight Users Helped Redesign an Academic Library Web Site." Information Technology & Libraries 44.3 (2005): 232-46. Academic Search Premier.

  • Krug, Steve. Don't make me think : a common sense approach to web usabiliity. Que, 2006.

  • Nielsen, Jakob. Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design. Alertbox: Current Issues in Web Usability, 1996, updated 2007.

  • ---. Usability 101. Alertbox: Current Issues in Web Usability, 2003.

  • Nielsen, Jakob, and Marie Tahir. Homepage Usability : 50 Websites Deconstructed. New Riders, 2002.

No comments: