His comments are aimed at commercial web sites, but many are valid for libraries and our vendors as well. They’re mostly things that would annoy tech-savvy users / customers, but we in libraries don’t want to alienate our tech-savvy patrons, do we?
- Long URLs (LexisNexis? Hello?)
- Windows that don’t generate URLs (I’m looking at you, SFX)
- Lack of feeds and email lists (RSS feeds for new books & other new library resources?)
- User names cannot contain the @ character (or, in the case of Scopus / Elsevier, THEY generate the user names – who can remember stephaniebrown18? Who wants to?)
- Supporting only Windows Internet Explorer (‘nuff said)
Also check out the lengthy comments from other readers of Guy’s post; there are even more good pet peeves!)